There are so many elements that go into designing a kitchen, making it not only an attractive and enjoyable room to be in, but also highly practical and functional. Appliances such as sinks and taps, ovens and hobs are key when it comes to the functionality of your cooking space. They also allow you to tailor your design towards your lifestyle requirements and cooking needs.
Every kitchen, regardless of size or amount of use is going to require certain appliances for storage and food preparation. At KNB we specialise in providing suitable appliances in Nottingham that not only look and perform beautifully, but help to preserve space and fulfil the aesthetics of your perfect kitchen.
Take a look at our guide below on how to pick the perfect appliances that will help to complete your dream kitchen:
Kitchen Appliance Ranges
Oven and Hob Design
Your choice of oven and hob will depend greatly on how often you like to cook and whether you consider yourself to be experienced in the kitchen or more of a novice. For example, if you spend a lot of your time cooking, you may prefer appliances that are more sophisticated in terms of functions, features and cooking ability. For many avid cooks, gas is the preferred option as it has an instant response and is easier for controlling temperature. Warming drawers and steam ovens are also popular.
You will need to consider what types of materials you’d like your cooking appliances to be made of. For easier cleaning, hob ranges with ceramic glass cooktops (covering electric or halogen burners) are a good choice, as well as simple designs with standard handles and knobs. For appliances that look stylish and modern, hobs and ovens made from stainless steel are popular choices, as they offer a striking contrast against the cabinetry.
If you are looking for more flexibility in terms of design and cooking, you can choose to have your oven and hob separated. Wall ovens are a great feature in many kitchens, so choosing an individual gas or electric hob will allow you to install one.
Ventilation systems are a central feature in any kitchen. Range hoods with a ventilation fan built in are a popular option, and depending on the design of your hob and its specific heating elements, you will need to choose an appliance with the right ventilation system. Here at KNB we offer a selection of stylish range hoods that will compliment any scheme.
The size and functionality of your fridge will also depend on certain lifestyle requirements, such as the number of people who live with you and how often you like to cook and eat at home. For large families, full size fridges are essential, and you may even need a model that has additional features such as on door controls and dual refrigeration. If your household is small, you may prefer a more compact fridge which will help to preserve space. With these models however, it is less likely they will include freezer space so you will need to have a freezer fitted separately.
There is also the question of how you would like your appliance to fit in your kitchen. Would you like your fridge to be seamlessly integrated with the worktops and cabinetry with matching fronts, or would you like your fridge to be visible as a contrasting feature? Smaller fridges can be more easily built in, while larger designs can be used as a central feature.
Dishwashers are a popular choice for many homeowners who enjoy home cooking on a regular basis. If you are considering installing a dishwasher, there are a variety of models to choose from depending on your lifestyle requirements and the size of your household. For example, if you will be using it a lot, you may prefer a model with energy efficiency or noise reduction qualities. Alternatively, if you won’t be using it often you could opt for a more simplified model that is smaller and more compact. Dishwashers can be installed to feature as part of your kitchen design, or can be tucked away behind cabinet doors – depending on the specific design and materials you choose.
Sinks and Taps
These appliances are extremely varied in terms of style, shape and size. You can also choose from a wide range of accessories and extras, such as filtered water from the taps, double basins and even a waste disposal unit. This offers you plenty of scope for customisation to ensure your sink and tap design fully meets your needs and desired kitchen finish.
- Stainless steel – This sleek and contemporary material is affordable, hygienic and can be integrated seamlessly with worktops. It is also heat and stain resistant. Unfortunately stainless steel can be prone to dents, scratches and water marks. Choosing a satin or brushed finish can help to minimise the appearance these.
- Composite granite – Tough and durable, with many aesthetic qualities that are easy to maintain, composite granite is a popular choice of sink material. It comes in a variety of hues, making it ideal for any style of kitchen, but only a matte finish is available.
- Solid surface – These sinks can be fused with solid surface worktops to create a smooth, streamlined appearance. The solid surface material may be prone to scratches, but is easy to clean and maintain.
- Ceramic – A staple in traditional kitchens but just as complementary in a modern setting, ceramic sinks are versatile, easy to clean and are resistant to dents and high temperatures.
- Undermounted sinks – Installed underneath the counter, undermounted sinks provide an edgeless finish that looks stylish and modern. They look particularly pleasing when combined with wood, granite or solid surface worktops, but can be expensive to install.
- Top mounted sinks – Also known as drop-in sinks – these are designed to sit in a worktop with an outside rim or lip that holds it in place. Top mounted sinks are affordable and easy to install, but can be hard to keep clean and lack the sleek and stylish finish of undermounted sinks.
- Belfast – A popular choice for traditional and country style kitchens, this charming and practical sink features a distinctive forward-facing section that replaces part of the countertop. It can come in a range of materials, including stainless steel which can give it a more modern aesthetic.
Taps should be the perfect balance of functionality and design. Available in both classic and contemporary styles, they can beautifully enhance the look and feel of your kitchen whatever your chosen design. The availability of features such as hoses and filtered water adds an extra dimension of functionality, and you can choose from a variety of tap neck shapes, handles, materials and swivel options.
Other additional features that taps can include are:
- High pressure.
- Low pressure.
- Dual flow.
- Boiling water.
For more information on the appliances available via KNB please visit our kitchen appliances page.
At KNB we supply a wide range of appliances in Nottingham, including all the major brands, so you are guaranteed to find the right design and model to complete your perfect kitchen. Take a look at our fitted kitchens page for more information on our comprehensive service.